Saturday, October 18, 2008

Guardian Angels

October 2nd is the memorial of the Guardian Angels in the Catholic Church. That day our priest at mass narrowly avoided a serious collision later by slamming on his brakes at just the right time. He later tied this act to his homily to us that day about paying attention to when our guardian angels are protecting us.

The week after, I received a chain email from a friend about how “angels” are placed in our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. At the end, it asked people to forward it (which I didn’t do), respond to the sender (which I did do), and expect something wonderful to happen the next day at 11:04 a.m. (which I sort of did skeptically). The following evening before heading home, I thought back through the day, checked my email, and confirmed that nothing happened at 11:04 a.m. that was exceptional.

The next morning, one of my true guardian angels returned from a conference in Las Vegas where he unexpectedly attended a presentation by a well-know business person and entrepreneur. Based on the speech, he talked with the speaker afterward and told him that the two of us need to get together in some way because of our shared perspectives on innovation. After excitedly telling me about this, I asked him when he wound up in the presentation the day before. The answer . . . just after 9 a.m., Pacific Daylight Time. Or just after 11 a.m. in the Kansas City area, where I was.

I relayed this story to the angel chain letter friend at dinner the other night. And within a day or so, she introduced and recommended me for a research conference-related role with a national association that’s laden with opportunity. I told her, she’s my “Fairy Godmother of Research!

The point of all this is that no matter what you call them – friends, angels or fairy godmothers – ALWAYS give thanks for the blessing of wonderful people in your life who care about you!

That’s one chain not to break!

Blessings,
Mike

No comments: